July 27 - Reifel Bird Sanctuary

This was my first outing with my new camera, a Canon EOS 80D that I bought for my birthday. I probably took 15 to 20 thousand photos with my Rebel T4i, so it was due for replacement. It will take me a while to master the new camera, especially the metering and focus.

I've been visiting Reifel a lot this year, it blends well with my trips to Point Roberts. It's quite easy to get to Reifel from Tsawwassen once you learn the back roads.

There weren't any rare birds on the list today, so I focused on some of the common ones seen here.

This photo of a House Sparrow is quite interesting, I'm not sure why it has the feather in its mouth.

House Sparrow - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

This Towhee isn't as sharp as I hoped, it will take a while to adjust to the new camera.

Spotted Towhee- Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

I titled this photo "Mordor" in my photo captions.

 

The Purple Martin Boxes along the North Dyke are quite far out from the trail. You can see one bird (female?) in the lowest box.

Purple Martin - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

I don't normally photograph Pigeons but this one seemed to warrant attention. The colours and the strength of the legs were what attracted me.

Rock Pigeon - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

Also the flexibility:

Rock Pigeon - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

It wouldn't be a visit to Reifel without a couple of Crane photos:

Sandhill Crane - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

Sandhill Crane - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - July 2019

This last photo was taken at home. I mentioned in an earlier post that we had to take down the hummingbird feeder because of wasps. This shot shows what the birds were facing. 


Fortunately, the embargo lasted about 7 - 10 days and then I put the feeder up again. The Wasps have dwindled and at least one male Anna's Hummingbird is using the feeder again.

No comments:

Post a Comment