August 17 - Reifel Bird Sanctuary and Point Roberts

I decided to change things up this weekend and reversed the order of my birding visits. Normally I go to Point Roberts first and then head for Reifel.

Reifel Bird Sanctuary

I was getting used to my new camera and I think the results showed today. After parking, the first bird I saw was a male Anna's Hummingbird visiting a feeder near the parking lot.

Anna's Hummingbird - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

The bird was in a bush and posed nicely for me. It's always great to get them away from a feeder.




At this time of year, migration brings good numbers of the larger shorebirds to Reifel. The most common are the Yellowlegs. This one is a Lesser based o the length of the bill and overall shape.

Lesser Yellowlegs - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

A similarly sized bird is the Solitary Sandpiper. It has a more complete eyering and flatter appearing head than the Yellowlegs.

Solitary Sandpiper - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

The August 11 blog featured a visiting rare bird at Reifel. The Black Phoebe was present again on this day. It was on the BC Rare Bird alert until Sept 11 and may still be there.

Black Phoebe - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC


Something about this photo of two mallards appealed to me, perhaps the symmetry.

Mallards - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

This shot was the follow-up, the two-bodied headless mallard.


After leaving the sanctuary, I spotted some swans just as I crossed the Westham Island bridge. These were the first Trumpeter's I'd seen in 2019.

Trumpeter Swan - Delta BC - 2019 Bird #165


Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I arrived just after 2:00 PM after crossing the border and filling up with gas. The change in visiting time served me well as there were some new birds to see for a change.

The first was a group of White-winged Scoters flying overhead. The flight shot shows how they get their name.

White-winged Scoter - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2019 Bird #166

The next bird seen was a Pigeon Guillemot far from shore. These oceanic birds are members of the Alcid family and spend all their time at sea, except when they come to land for breeding.

The Pigeon Guillemot is only seen on the West Coast. The photo is not great as it quite far out.

Pigeon Guillemot - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA
2019 Bird #167

I took another shot of the bird at the end of my visit from a closer distance.

Pigeon Guillemot - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Another birder pointed out a mixed flock shorebirds. I took a bunch of photos of them and only identified them when I got home. I felt pretty silly afterwards for not recognizing one of the species, the common Black Turnstone. There was another species with the Turnstones. They were Surfbirds, an uncommon species here.  I'd only seen them in California previously. 

Black Turnstone (on Right) and Surfbirds (2019 Species #167)
Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

A bit later something spooked the flock and they all took off and wheeled around over the water.


Most of the flock are Black Turnstones, they are the darker birds at the top of the photos. I believe the lower birds are a mix of Surfbirds and Sanderlings.

After that excitement, a more common bird was seen, a female House Finch.

House Finch - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

And finally, a visit here often results in a Sea Lion sighting. Usually I only catch the head, I got part of the body on this one.


Steller Sea Lion - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

No comments:

Post a Comment