May 11 - Columbia Hills State Park WA

Some of these photos may have been taken on the way to the park near Centerville WA.

The Black-billed Magpie is very common in certain areas, but I only saw a few on this trip. This was the best of a bad lot of photos that I took of this species.

Black-billed Magpie - Columbia Hills State Park near Centerville WA
2019 Bird # 88

Somewhat better was this Cinnamon Teal pair.


Cinnamon Teal - Columbia Hills State Park near Centerville WA - 2019 Bird # 89

Following the Teal was a pair of Gadwall. The differences between male and female are more subtle. The male has the black rump with the white patch.


Gadwall - Columbia Hills State Park near Centerville WA - 2019 Bird # 90

We heard some squawking overhead and I caught this avian drama, a Brewer's Blackbird harassing a Common Raven. I'd guess the Raven was trying to get into a nest.


The Raven was a new bird for 2019. We'd see many of them in Oregon and Idaho.


Brewer's Blackbird and Common Raven (#91) - Columbia Hills State Park WA

We were about to leave the park and were getting into the car when I spotted a Ring-necked Pheasant off to my right. I was able to get a burst of shots away. Poor Chris was on the wrong side of the car, but he did see the bird as it disappeared into the brush.

This was my first North American sighting for the year, but I did see one in Italy in March while on a train between Rome and Venice.

Ring-necked Pheasant  - Columbia Hills State Park WA
2019 Bird #92

Chris then spotted our first Cliff Swallow of the trip a few seconds later.

 Cliff Swallow - Columbia Hills State Park WA
2019 Bird #93

And then he spotted a Pine Siskin, a common bird, but my first for the year.


Pine Siskin - Columbia Hills State Park near Centerville WA - 2019 Bird #94 

Also overhead was a Swainson's Hawk, a bird I normally see in Alberta. I was happy to get one on this trip as Alberta was not in my 2019 plans.

Swainson's Hawk Columbia Hills State Park WA - 2019 Bird #95

Our last  bird in the park was a Western Kingbird, another new one for they year.


Western Kingbird - Columbia Hills State Park WA - 2019 Bird # 96  

We were staying in a town in Oregon named The Dalles and it was pretty well due south of our location. The only obstacle was the Columbia River. We had to drive west for about 30 miles to get to a bridge over the river. Somewhere along Highway 14 on the Washington side Chris spotted a California Scrub Jay along the road. Traffic wasn't too busy and we were able to pull off and get a shot or two.

California Scrub-Jay - Highway 14, WA
2019 Bird #97

After crossing into Oregon we now headed east to get to the Dalles. Along the way, we got one last look at some Mountain Bluebirds.


Mountain Bluebird - Highway 84, OR

Our last new bird for the day was a female Purple Finch.


Purple Finch (F) - Highway 84, OR

It had been quite a day, we'd been on the road for 12 to 13 hours.  I'd added 21 birds to my 2019 list and added the White-headed Woodpecker to my Life List.

We had a meal and crashed in the motel at the Dalles.

No comments:

Post a Comment