May 16 - Southeast Washington and Grand Forks

After leaving Benton Lake, we drove north and west along Interstate 90 up to Grand Forks BC. We were staying there overnight at my sister Patty's place. We did see a few creatures and birds along the way, and a few more late in the evening in Grand Forks.


Yellow-bellied Marmot - Highway I-90, USA

After Spokane we turned north on highway 395 towards Grand Forks. We were about a half hour away from the Canadian border when Chris spotted some large birds walking along the highway. I scrambled to get my camera ready and took my first photos of Wild Turkeys since I'd been at Point Pelee in 2012.


Wild Turkey - near Orient Wa - 2019 Bird #149

After crossing the border, we were still some distance from Patty's place. Along Highway 3, we spotted a couple of birds along the roadside. One of them was my favourite Okanagan Woodpecker.


Lewis's Woodpecker - Hwy 3 near Grand Forks BC - 2019 Bird #150


Lewis's Woodpecker - Hwy 3 near Grand Forks BC

The last bird along the road was a Western Tanager.

Western Tanager - Hwy 3 near Grand Forks BC

We were happy to have reached our destination, twelve plus hours after we'd left Great Falls. Tomorrow, we'd be heading home. But there was still some good birding to be done, as described in the next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment