Best of 2019 Part 1 - January and February

I enjoy collecting my best bird photos of the year for display in a series of year-end posts. The difficulty is limiting the number of photos for the really good months (May 2019 for example) and not getting too repetitive with the year end photos.

This year Edith and I traveled to Italy in March, so I've included some photos of European birds from that vacation.

January 2019

For some crazy reason, I head for Reifel Bird Sanctuary on January 1st each year. It's probably one of their top 3 busiest days of the year. But It lets me get started on my new year list with the variety of species you can see there.

On this day I saw 26 species here. #7 was this American Wigeon.

American Wigeon - Reifel Bird Sanctuary - January 1, 2019

I choose photos for the best of the year post  for a few different reasons. A first time lifer has a good chance of making it, otherwise it's the quality of the photo or any thing else that makes a photo special.

I really like the next one for composition and tone. I should note that I try to select photos that look good without editing or cropping. With my regular posts I often crop and edit the photo.


Hooded Merganser (F) - Reifel Bird Sanctuary - January 1, 2019

This next shot looks good and the bird  was featured on the rare bird alert. Seen in Abbotsford BC, it was the first record for this species in Southern BC. It attracted quite a crowd, but seemed to like posing for all the photographers. The Cape May Warbler is named for the famous birding location in New Jersey.

Cape May Warbler, Mill Lake Park, Abbotsford BC
January 5, 2019

This bird was warranted posting two shots. This was my first lifer since December 2017, it was #426 on my life list.



In nearby Aldergrove a Great Egret had been reported. I made the extra drive and the bird was not too hard to find.


Great Egret - Aldergrove BC - January 5, 2019

Another favorite spot that I visit is Lighthouse Marine Park in Point Roberts USA. It's just a short hop south from Tsawwassen. The southernmost point in Point Roberts features Lighthouse Marine Park with its rocky shorelines and wave action.

These Dunlin were enjoying the surf.


Dunlin - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - January 7, 2019

The following weekend I was at the Point again and saw this striking Loon. It's not yet in Breeding Plumage so there's no red on the throat.

Red-throated Loon - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA
January 13, 2019

We don't have really cold winters here, but tell that to this Red-winged Blackbird.

Red-winged Blackbird (F) - Boundary Bay, Delta BC
January 19, 2019

And lastly for January, one from the yard. This Nuthatch was probably visiting the suet feeder frequently.

Red-breasted Nuthatch - Backyard, North Delta BC - January 30, 2019

February 2019

I picked eight shots from February, starting with this one at Point Roberts. The sailboat is the centerpiece, but just below are three Long-tailed Ducks in flight. It''s a rare pleasure to see this species, usually only once or twice per year.


Long-tailed Ducks - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - February 1, 2019

I made a rare visit to Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver and took these two treetop shots. The Hummingbird is quite common here, the Merlin (a small Falcon) was a bonus.

Anna's Hummingbird - Queen Elizabeth Park, Vancouver BC
February 9, 2019

Merlin - Queen Elizabeth Park, Vancouver BC
February 9, 2019

The following weekend I was back at Reifel. It must have been a cold day with most of the smaller ponds frozen over. These Mallards were all onshore feeding on the birdseed provided by the many visitors.

Mallards - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Ladner BC - February 17, 2019

Also present was the very rare Snow Duck (kidding) just behind a Mallard. My first impression was that it was a Bufflehead.

Mallard and "Snow Duck" - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Ladner BC - February 17, 2019

After leaving Reifel i was lucky to spot a Rough-legged Hawk on one of the rural roads in South Delta. It was not busy, so I was able to stop and get a couple of shots. They were a bit blurry, but I always love seeing this species.

Rough-legged Hawk - Ladner BC - February 17, 2019

the following day I traveled to Richmond's Terra Nova Nature Park. It was a cold winter day, but this Song Sparrow seemed to be coping well.

Song Sparrow - Terra Nova Nature Park, Richmond BC - February 18, 2019

The last shot for this post was taken at Point Roberts. This Black Turnstone is foraging for food on the rocky shoreline. It turns the small stones over looking for clams and other mollusks.

Black Turnstone - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - February 23, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment